Sunday, March 16, 2008

Want Some Cake?

Well I finally did it! I bought some unmounted stamps!! I have been looking high and low for a monkey stamp set for a future scrapbook page and fell in love with this set from C.C. Designs, Monkey Love. So I have had my first experience with acrylic blocks and I am looking forward to trying some acrylic stamps as well...already have my eyes on some!

Anyway, this card was created for two reasons: 1) as a birthday card for my nephew and 2) to submit for a C.C. Designs Design Contest. The contest involves people voting on the card they like best (starting March 21) and the winner wins all of April's new releases! So if you like, visit the gallery between March 21-25 and vote for me!!

I needed a birthday card as I stated so I knew I wanted to incorporate a birthday cake or present. The little monkey looked like he was holding something in his little hands (or is it paws on a monkey?), so I came up with the idea for the naughty little monkey to sit on top of the cake and hold the candles. Only thing that would make it that much better is if I had a stamp that said "Want some cake?", but "Make a Wish!" will do! The cake and candles were stamped in Not Quite Navy (separately because the candles needed to be separate from the cake) and the monkey in Black two times (once on the actual card and once on a piece of scrap white). The Monkey was colored using Stampin' Watercolor pencils and a blender pen...I love the belly button addition!! I then cutout the monkey on the scrap white and layered him on top of the monkey on my main image...instead of using a dimensional I just used a small bit of cardstock to add a bit of dimension (thought the dimensional might be too much). The close-up image below shows this a little better. The only part that isn't a part of the top image is the tail. Then I added his candles and gave them a little sparkle with Diamond Stickles. Lastly was to add the greeting and the So Saffron Brads.


Speaking on birthdays, my little monkey (my son) had a birthday party over the weekend. I will post some pictures soon of some of the cool things I did...at least I thought they were cool! Until then, have a great week!

The Engineering Details
Stamps - Monkey Love (C.C. Designs), Birthday Whimsy (SU!), Mini Mates (SU!-retired); Cardstock - Close to Cocoa, Not Quite Navy, So Saffron, Whisper White; Ink - Not Quite Navy, So Saffron, Basic Black; Accessories - Ticket Corner Punch, Corner Rounder, So Saffron Brads, Stampin' Watercolor Pencils, Diamond Stickles; Supplies - Blender Pen, Scissors, Mat Pack (SU!)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails