Sunday, May 11, 2008

Thinking Baby and a Birthday Card

I totally meant to make this first card for my friend’s son’s 2nd birthday (so it would have had 2’s all over it instead of 4’s), but I didn’t get to it in time! So I decided to make it in advance for another friend’s son’s 4th birthday. Hey I actually planned ahead somewhat…look at me go! So the idea for the card popped into my head when I saw Jen del Muro’s (I {Heart} 2 Stamp) Sketch for You to Try (SFYTT) sketch from last week.

I made the front panel the “opening” part of the card. I made just the front part of the truck visible on the small square and then when you open it, you can see the whole truck with presents in the back. The truck was paper pieced…basically to give it some dimension with the different colors layered on top of each other. I added some Crystal Effects to the windows to give them a shine like windows.

The green and yellow “dew drops” or “baubles”, which I believe are the brand names of them…not sure what the generic name is (I’ll go with acrylic dots), are from Michael’s. I think I read at Jen Del Muro’s blog about finding cheap versions in the floral section at Michael’s, so when I was there the other day I found them…on clearance for $2! So I got all of the colors they had left. I have no idea how they compare to the actual “dew drops” or “baubles”, but they work! So run out and get some for yourself…at that price how can you say no! I attached them using Tombow Mono Multi and that seemed to work really great.

The Engineering Details
Stamps – Load of Love, Loads of Love Accessories, Quirky Numbers (retired), Brushstroke Numbers (retired), Typewriter Numbers (from Wal-Mart), Funky Numbers (from Wal-Mart); Paper – Ballet Blue, Basic Black, Whisper White, Bashful Blue DSP from Hostess Print Pack, Green Galore, Summer Sun; Ink – Basic Black, Ballet Blue, Bashful Blue, Green Galore, Summer Sun; Accessories – Crystal Effects, White Gel Pen, Acrylic Dots (Michael’s), scissors, Tombow Mono Multi

Since I was so late with doing Jen’s last week sketch, I decided to try this week’s Sketch For You To Try (SFYTT) too. So since I am trying to get prepared for baby girl to arrive, I wanted to use the sketch to make up some baby thank you cards. I used some ribbon (on sale) that I also found at Michael’s as my starting point for the colors. The colors aren’t the typical baby soft colors, but I really liked them! On a side note, I haven’t been to Michael’s in awhile…for some reason I had been going to JoAnns more often…there was a lot of great stuff there! I was trying a couple of different things with the cards (emboss or not to emboss, eyelet colors, etc.) so they are both “examples” of what the final thank you card will look like. I think I like the second one better…I like that the colors contrast each other more than on the first card. I will be using both though because I only have so much ribbon on each roll!

When I made the card at first I didn’t have the crimped portion above and below the baby carriage and it felt like it was too much white space. I was kind of impressed I thought to break out the crimper…I really like the look of it! I decided I also like the “baby” word being embossed instead of not embossed. The non-embossed version (on the first card) of the word “baby” just didn’t show up real well. I also decided that I need to get some Bravo Burgundy eyelets for the second card (they have been ordered now) because I want to carry that color across the card.

I decided at the end to try adding some Stickles to the center baby carriage. While I like the idea of it, all I had was Diamond and Crystal Stickles…I think a colored Stickles will show up better. So what do you know, I have some on the way! Maybe I will repost the truly completed cards once I get all of my new supplies for them. Hopefully the difference will be noticeable.

The Engineering Details (Pink and Orange version)
Stamps – Something to Celebrate, Baby Set (Studio G - $1 deal acrylic stamps at Michael’s); Paper – Pink Passion, Whisper White, Only Orange, Pretty in Pink; Ink – Pink Passion, Only Orange, Pretty in Pink, White Craft; Accessories – Pretty in Pink eyelets, Diamond Stickles, Striped grosgrain ribbon (Michael’s), paper crimper, Crop-a-Dile

The Engineering Details (Pink and Green version)
Stamps – Something to Celebrate, Baby Set (Studio G - $1 deal acrylic stamps at Michael’s); Paper – Pink Passion, Whisper White, Green Galore, Bravo Burgundy; Ink – Pink Passion, Green Galore, Bravo Burgundy, White Craft; Accessories – White eyelets, Crystal Stickles, Striped grosgrain ribbon (Michael’s), paper crimper, Crop-a-Dile, White embossing powder, heat gun


Anyway, that is it. My next pre-baby task is to design up the announcements…I have an idea floating in my head, but haven’t tried it yet. I won’t be posting that though until baby girl arrives since it will include a picture of her. Other than that, I have some other cards to work on as well and eventually a decoration for my son’s room. We will just have to see what I can get done. Tomorrow I am taking a day off for me! Plan to try and get my stamp area more organized (labeled and such), so maybe I will show some picture of that soon as well! Have a great week!








No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails