Friday, March 27, 2009

Baptisms All Around

This weekend is Baptism central for us! On Saturday we have my brother-in-law and his daughters (ages 10 and 13) being baptised and on Sunday we have my husband's brothers 4 month old son being baptised! Holy baptism, Batman! That was a weird thing to say, but it is totally what I keep thinking regarding this weekend! So needless to say I needed a few cards for all of this. Oh and we are also celebrating my son's (as if he needs ANOTHER celebration) and two of my nephew's birthdays as well...a couple more cards to add to this mix! I did get all of the cards made..except for the baby baptism...still need to do that one. But at this point I am just hoping my children are able to attend all of the events. Both are sick...Eli seems to be the worse off. We were struggling to keep anything in his stomach today...poor little guy! Hopefully a night's rest will help him get better.

So for the cards that I made...each one used a different sketch challenge. I swear I haven't done a card without a sketch in forever...not sure I know how anymore. I probably should make that a challenge some week...actually make up my own card without any sketch or color challenges. Anyway, starting with the oldest sketch challenge, Mojo Sketch Challenge #77. I used the Verve Stamps Notes of Prayer set (actually used this set for all of my cards in this post). The circle element I think ended up being a bit too big, but I LOVE this cross...so I just went with it! This is also used some of the retired Bali Breeze DSP from Stampin' Up!. I really like the color fade effect I did around the cross...just kind of gave it the extra something. Basically the card was then finished off with some of the Ice Rhinestone Brads from SU!. This may have been kept a smidge too simple, but when you are working on three baptism cards in one night, you just let that go!

This card was based on a SCS sketch Challenge, SC #218, and used a Color Challenge, #209. The color combo was for Rose Red, Always Artichoke and Basic Black...great color combination! Using the same cross stamp again and pairing it with the flower from Verve Stamps Beautiful You stamp set, this card was born. I did part from the Sketch though by removing a panel they had in at the bottom of the main image. I just could not get it to work to my satisfaction...so it went far, far away! I also found some old half pearls that my husband's grandmother gave me...God Bless her...she will randomly give me old "crafty" type things that she has had can no longer can use (due to eyesight and dexterity). Sometimes there is something good in all of it! Nothing much else with this card...but I thought it turned out good.

The last baptism card is for my brother-in-law. Man if you thought masculine birthday cards were a challenge, try masculine baptism cards! I chose to try the Mojo Sketch Challenge #78 for this one. I decided I wanted the cross to look somewhat "burned" into the faux wood background (created just by dragging various brown shades on Kraft paper). I love the silver accents then on the cross...the cross is my favorite part of this card! I used the distressed stripes cuttlebug embossing folder to give some textured background to the Going Gray pieces...then sponged with Basic Gray. I anchored my cross feature with some brads I got through Oriental Trading that look like little screw heads.

Well I should be off to bed now...never know if the kids are going to sleep through the night in their current state of sickness. Eli was up for a bit last night removing the contents of his stomach in more ways than one! Sorry way too much info! Anyway, it is late and I hope that this post didn't ramble too much!

Thanks for stopping by my engineering world!

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Great cards -- You accomplished just the right "tone" for each card! Hope you ALL are healthy enough to attend the festivities.

Related Posts with Thumbnails